As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Cover Letter:
A cover letter is mandatory and should give the justification of the submission, highlights of the article, and a general impact statement.
Full-length research manuscripts, consistent with the objectives of the journal, are the main focus of the Journal. Regular articles should have a maximum total length of 50,000 characters including spaces. In general, a combined maximum of 8 normal-sized figures and/or tables is allowed (for instance 3 tables and 5 figures). For multiple-panel figures each set of two panels equates to one figure. In case the limits on characters and figures or tables are exceeded, the authors are kindly requested to justify this need in the cover letter. Manuscripts can be submitted as a single Word or PDF file to be used in the refereeing process. Only when the paper is at the revision stage, the contributing author will you be requested to fit the paper into a “correct format” for acceptance and provide the items required for the publication of the article.
Authors are kindly invited to use the following list to carry out a final check of their contribution before submitting the paper to the Journal for review. Please make sure that the following items are clearly specified on the first page of the manuscript:
- Contact details of the corresponding author:
• E-mail address,
• Full postal address, Telephone Number, Website URL
• Include up to 5 keywords immediately after the Abstract
• All figures (including figure captions)
• All tables (including titles, description and footnotes)
• Make sure all figures and table citations in the text match the files provided
• Graphical Abstracts / Highlights files (where applicable)
• Supplementary Information files (where applicable)
- Further considerations:
• Manuscript should be “spell checked” and “grammar checked”
• All references mentioned in the Reference List must be cited in the text, and vice versa
• Permission to reproduce must be obtained for use of copyrighted material from other sources (including the Internet)
• Relevant declarations of interest are made
• Journal policies detailed in this guide were reviewed
Please submit, as part of the cover letter, the name, affiliation and email address of up to five potential Referees. Appropriate Referees should be knowledgeable about the subject but have no close connection with any of the authors. In addition, Referees should be from institutions other than (and possibly countries other than) those of any of the Authors. The editors of the Journal may or may not contact the suggested Referees.
References to the literature or to footnotes are typed as superscripts after punctuation. These are numbered consecutively and listed (but not as superscripts) at the end of the manuscript. Footnotes should not contain comprehensive experimental details (which should be included in the Supplementary Material instead) or long explanatory text. In the list of references, the names of all authors should be given in upper- and lowercase, starting with the initials of first names followed by the surname). Please double-check your references, for example by using CrossRef, to ensure correct (online) links. Authors are strongly suggested to refer to an article that has already been published in Substantia in order to check the required style and format for citing papers, book, websites, etc.