The Italian Society of Anatomy was founded in 1929 by Nello Beccari, Luigi Castaldi and Emerico Luna under the auspices of Giulio Chiarugi.
The first congress was held in Bologna (8-10 October 1929) chaired by Giulio Valenti
Since December 2004 it changed its name into “ITALIAN SOCIETY OF ANATOMY AND HISTOLOGY” (SIAI).
The institutional aims of Italian Society of Anatomy and Histology are the increase and the promotion of research and teaching in morphological (anatomical and histological) disciplines.
Currently it has over 500 members.
The official organ of the Society is the “Italian Journal of Anatomy and Embryology”, in which the proceedings of the annual meeting as an ordinary supplement are published.